The rules of etiquette are often simple and they form the basis for the etiquette of dining. Recipes, rules of etiquette, opinions on etiquette, and even just simple common sense, all contribute to class dinners. The etiquette of dining is a system of rules, which have develop over time by different cultures and communities. These rules often involve the use of appropriate courtesies, eating, and eating with clean hands. Before starting we suggest you use a stylish and good looking cutlery stand. Cutlery stand enhances the beauty of the dining table.
The purpose of this article is to provide you with a brief overview of how to use the appropriate utensils at a formal dinner. The use of silverware, cutlery, and glasses is common, so the article is about the rules that one should follow while having dinner, when they are invited for a formal dinner. Keep in mind that the purpose of the utensils you use at a formal dinner. Is simply to make you look presentable, and you should have no other purpose in mind.
Basic Rules of Using Utensils for Dinner
Following are the basic rules that will help you out when you are going out for a formal dinner. Below is the guide on how to use types of utensils placed on a formal dinner table:
- The first simple and basic rule that anyone can keep in their mind is to use the Eating utensils from “outside-In”. This is a good rule to remember since you don’t need to know which spoon and fork to use. For what as long as you remember to use the utensils for dinner one by one from the outside to inwards.
- Scoop the spoon outwards as it is easier to scoop outwards in the bowl before bringing it to your mouth.
- While having food, always use a fork to get the food into the spoon and then eat that bite of food with the spoon. Never make the mistake of putting the whole spoon into your mouth at once.
- You must always keep in mind to eat your food very carefully and without making any noise or chewing. As it will disturb other people who are there at the dinner table. Make sure that you never use your teeth to clear the food from the fork or spoon.
- Always try to use two pieces of eating utensils if it is provided at the dinner table. Always remember to use the fork to eat your food and take the help of a knife to cut it. If, in case there is no knife available and only a spoon and fork are there. Then in this situation, use the spoon to eat the food and take the help of the fork to move your food to the spoon.
- Always cut your food into small bites and then have it.
- Bread is not a food item that should be eaten with a spoon or fork. It is always eaten by hand and torn also by hand.
- If you wish to drink something, say water or wine, then the eating utensils that you are holding. First keep them down and then use the glassware.
- When you want to eat a pudding then do it with a spoon and use the fork to move the pudding into the spoon.
- After completing your meal, use the fork and knife or spoon close to each other, side by side. This is the sign that you finish eating. When you place Fork and spoon in a way that the top ends meet and the bottom ends far away. This signifies that you are still eating and not finished yet.
When you are attending a formal dinner, always remember that the utensils that place at the dining table are the tools. Every eating utensil has a purpose and that’s why they keep at the table. Once you use every eating utensil then you should not scar or uncomfortable while having dinner along with others.
Don’t get intimidated if you make a mistake while having dinner. As people around you at the dining table would not even know about the mistake that you made while having dinner if you don’t bring it to their attention. It can be possible that if you just take a look around the dining table and notice other people. It may be possible that you probably know a lot more about the dining etiquette than most of the people who are having dinner with you.
Never call out others or correct them about the way they are using utensils. As it is worse than using a spoon or fork or glassware in the wrong way. It’s always a good option to just focus on your dinner table etiquette and not have to worry about what others are doing and how they are having their meal. So, next time when you go out for a formal dinner, do keep in mind all these things.